- Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) records members of the Dickson family living at Ballyhonogue, Clonshire and Ballynaguile, county Limerick in the 18th century. Stephen Dickson and his wife Mary Lane had six sons. The youngest son, Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, married twice. The only child of his first marriage was a daughter who married Richard Power of Munroe, county Tipperary. The Power family succeeded the Dicksons at Clonshire. In 1775 Samuel married secondly Mary Norris of Limerick city and they had at least ninne children. Their eldest son Stephen was a barrister and Commissioner of Bankrupts and he bought the county Limerick estate of the Dillons of Clonbrock in 1831 amounting to about 3,000 acres. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill, Kilmoylan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Stephen Dickson died unmarried in 1839 and his estate appears to have been dispersed among a number of his brothers and nephews. Stephen Dickson's brothers, Reverend Richard Dickson and Major General William Dickson, were his only male siblings who married and had children. In the early 1850s Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermount, Clarina, county Limerick, held townlands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid, Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty, Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien and Doon, barony of Coonagh. He was agent to the Barker estate in county Limerick in the early 19th century. He married Anne, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, 1st Baronet, and had a son, Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair and Creaves, who owned a county Limerick estate of 2,540 acres in the 1870s. Samuel F. Dickson's brother, Reverend William Richard Dickson of Berkshire, owned a further 1,150 acres in county Limerick. Their sister, Rebecca Caroline, married Reverend William Francis Maunsell of the Spa Hill family and rector of Kildimo. Reverend Maunsell's only son, Colonel William Maunsell, assumed the surname Dickson in 1900 and succeeded to the estates of his uncle S.F. Dickson. He married his first cousin, Frances Maunsell and they had four daughters. Colonel Dickson had addresses at Kildimo House, county Limerick and Bournemouth, England in 1910. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.
Power (Clonshire & Monroe)
- Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguile, county Limerick married firstly a Miss Farrell and had a daughter who married Richard Pierce Power. By his second wife, Mary Norris, Samuel Dickson had five sons: Stephen, John of Clonshire, Samuel, Reverend Richard and William. Samuel Dickson Power of Clonshire, county Limerick and Monroe, county Tipperary, had a son, Richard Pierce Power, who married Elizabeth Massy of Glenwilliam Castle, county Limerick. Pierce Power held three townlands in the parish of Youghalarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Their son, Hamo Massy-Power, was living at Clonshire in 1910. William D. Power of Clonshire owned 1,125 acres in county Limerick and 1,854 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid. Daniel Dixon [Dickson] Power of Kilfinnon who was married to Elizabeth Maria Odell, daughter of Colonel William Odell of The Grove, county Limerick, was agent for these lands. Daniel D. Power held lands in the parishes of Iveruss and Kildimo, barony of Kenry, Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Clonagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He either bought or leased Bolane from the Earl of Charleville. His 500 acre estate at Ballynacourty, barony of Kenry and Ashborough, barony of Connello Upper, was advertised for sale by his assignee in May 1854. The representatives of Daniel D. Power owned 131 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. In 1878 Hussey records William D. Power of Clonshire as the owner of 1,854 acres in county Tipperary and 1,125 acres in county Limerick.
- In the mid 19th century John Pigott held townlands in the parish of Clonshire and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, in the parish of Ballingarry and Kilfinny, barony of Connello Upper and Croom, barony of Coshma, all in county Limerick,. His main tenant in the barony of Connello Lower was Samuel Dickson Power. John Pigott was the great grandson of Southwell Pigott who died circa 1755. Southwell Pigott was the son of John Piggott of Kilfinny, barony of Connello Lower and Gertrude, a daughter of Sir Thomas Southwell, 1st Baronet of Castle Matrix. In 1718 he succeeded to the Capard estate of his cousin in county Laois. In the 1870s Henry Armand Pigott of Capard, Rosenallis, Queen’s County, owned 3,477 acres in county Limerick and Robert A.R. Pigott of Capard owned 4,932 acres in Queen's county [county Laois]. This family share a common ancestry with the Pigotts, baronets.
Dickson (Croom Castle)
- In the mid 19th century Major General William Dickson of Berkshire, fifth son of Samuel Dickson and Mary Norris and younger brother of Stephen Dickson and the Reverend Richard Dickson, held lands in the parishes of Lismakeery and Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower and Kilbradran, barony of Shanid, while the representatives of Samuel Dickson held land in the parishes of Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam, Adare, barony of Connello Upper and Croom, barony of Coshma. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, records him holding land in that parish in the late 1830s. His agent was Samuel Dickson Power of Catherine Street, Limerick. Major General Dickson married Harriet Dallas and had two sons, Samuel Auchmuty Dickson of Croom Castle, county Limerick and Major General Willliam Thomas Dickson, 16th Lancers, neither of whom had children. In 1847 Fanny Charlotte, daughter of Major General Dickson, married Baron Sackville of Knole, Kent and there is reference to land at Glenogra, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick in the Sackville archives. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel A. Dickson owned at least seven townlands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid. It is probable that he inherited at least some of the estate of his uncle Stephen who had died in 1839. Croom Castle and its 107-acre demesne were advertised for sale in February 1864. Samuel A. Dickson died in 1870 and his brother Major General William Dickson is recorded as owning 8,559 acres in county Limerick and 513 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 1870s. The Dickson's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Rathlynin and Emly, barony of Clanwilliam. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.