- Weir writes that this family were transplanted from county Kilkenny to county Clare in the 17th century. Andrew Walsh was residing at Newtown, Clonlara, county Clare at the end of the 18th century. The Walshs continued to live at Newtown throughout the 19th century. Anne Walsh of Newtown, daughter of the Reverend Richard Walsh, married John Fitzgerald Studdert, a younger son of Thomas Studdert of Bunratty. In fact the Studderts and Welshs were very inter related as the Reverend Richard Welsh and Andrew Welsh had married female members of the Studdert family. In April 1869 the lands of Trough (362 acres), the estate of Andrew Fitzwilliam Welsh were advertised for sale. This land was held on a fee farm grant dated 1853 from John Carroll to William Welsh, the owner's father. William Welsh had married Mary daughter of Thomas Going and died in 1867. In the 1870s various Walsh/Welsh family members owned land in county Clare, the Reverend Robert Walsh of Dublin had 1276 acres, Captain Walsh 12 acres and Miss Walsh of Limerick owned 736 acres, while Andrew Walsh of Newtown had 176 acres and Marcus Welsh of Sragh House, Kilrush owned 664 acres. Marcus F. Walsh sold 550 acres to the Congested Districts' Board in February 1914.
- In 1830 John Fitzgerald Studdert of Pella, county Clare, married Anne, daughter of Reverend Richard Welsh of Newtown, county Clare. His second son, Richard Augustine FitzGerald Studdent, lived at Pella in the late 1860s and his third son, John FitzGerald Studdert of Lochnavar, Sragh, parish of Killard, owned 818 acres in the county in the 1870s.