Heard (Cos Cork, Tipperary & Kerry)
- The Heards were a long established county Cork family stated to have arrived with Sir Walter Raleigh and to have received a grant of lands at Bandon. By the early 18th century the main branch of the family was settled at Kinsale. John Isaac Heard (1787-1862 ) of Kinsale and Ballydaly, county Cork, was Member of Parliament for Kinsale 1852-1858. In the 1870s Robert Heard, of Pallastown, Kinsale, owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork and 8,846 in county Tipperary. At the same time Edward Heard of Ballintubbrid owned 391 acres and Francis Heard of Rochfordstown owned 457 acres in the county. Over 700 acres in Kinalea barony, the property of Robert Heard and members of Green family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in August 1876 and again in January 1877. In 1906, Samuel Thomas Heard owned what had been a portion of the Bland estate in the barony of Dunkerron South, county Kerry. The Heards of Ballintubbrid were a junior branch of the Pallastown family and Samuel Thomas Heard was the second son of Edward Heard of Ballintubbrid.