Browne (Clanmaurice & Iraghticonnor)
- The estate of John Beale Browne of Crotta, barony of Clanmaurice, amounted to over 2000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Rev. George Browne, residing in Nottinghamshire, owned over 1400 acres at the same time. He was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Galey, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1877 the estate of Thomas Beale Browne of Crotta was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The Brownes owned estates in Gloucestershire from the 17th century and their main residence was Salperton Park, Andoversford. In 1771 John Browne married Mary Beale, an heiress, and it was their grandson, Thomas Beale Browne, who bought Crotta in 1863. In the 1870s Thomas Beale Browne owned 997 acres in county Limerick and 206 acres in county Kerry. Bateman, however, notes that he owned over 2000 acres in county Kerry by the 1880s.