- The Croftons acquired land in the 17th century from the McSweeneys which had previously been part of the O'Dowd lordship in Tireragh. The family seem to have had a house in the area since the 1630s.In addition Henry Crofton received lands in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny, which were confirmed under the Acts of Settlement. They appear as Craston in the Census of 1659. The present Longford House was built c. 1783 but was destroyed by fire in the early 19th century. It was partially rebuilt and is still extant. James Crofton converted to the Protestant faith in 1731 and inherited the family estates. The Croftons also had another house in Templeboy parish, Corkhill, which was usually leased. They also held land in the parishes of Cloonfinlough and Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon in the mid 19th century. In 1906 Sir Malby Crofton is described as the occupier of property at Longford Demesne, including the mansion house. This branch of the Crofton family was connected with the Crofton family of Mote Park, County Roscommon. The family vault is in the old graveyard in Dromard.
Crofton (Mote Park)
- The senior branch of the Crofton family settled at Ballymurray, county Roscommon in the 16th century. In the 17th century they resided at Mote Castle and in 1661 Edward Crofton was created a baronet. Other branches of the family settled at Lissadurn, county Roscommon, Temple House, county Sligo and Mohill, county Leitrim. In August 1677 Gerald Dillon of Feamore was granted land in the barony of Athlone in trust for Sir Edward Crofton and his heirs. Dillon was married to the mother of Sir Edward Crofton. The Westport Estate Papers contain documents relating to the Croftons and Gerald Dillon in the late 17th century. In the mid 19th century the Croftons owned lands in the barony of Athlone in the parishes of Killinvoy and Kilmeane and in the parishes of Kilteevan and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Aughrim and Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. Admiral George Alfred Crofton, 3rd son of Sir Edward Crofton, held land in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon in the 1850s. In the 1870s the Crofton estate was comprised of 10,509 acres in county Roscommon.