- A family who were settled on the Galway/Mayo border at Cloghans, parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the mid 17th century, which according to Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' they purchased in 1663. By the mid 19th century the Lewin estate was mainly in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmainemore, county Mayo and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. In October 1851, Kilshanvoy, an estate of 1266 acres in county Galway held from the Bishop of Meath and 890 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, county Mayo were advertised for sale by the Lewin family in the Encumbered Estates' Court, however only Knockroe and Cloghansmore appear to have been sold to Martin P.Costello. The Lewins still retained much the same acreage in both counties in 1876. Some information about the early 20th century generation of this family may be found in the Tighe of Rosanna Papers.
Ball (Fort Fergus)
- William Hawkins Ball was the eldest son of Benjamin Ball of Dublin and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of the Reverend James Hawkins, Bishop of Raphoe. He was born in 1797 and in 1845 married Juliana Salana, fifth daughter of Standish O’Grady, 1st Viscount Guillamore. He died at Ranelagh, Dublin in 1864. Most of the Ball estate was in the parish of Kilchreest, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare but they also held a townland in the parish of Kilmihil. In the 1870s the representatives of Major W. H. Ball owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare and 78 acres in county Kilkenny. William and Julia Ball do not appear to have had any children and Weir writes that the heir presumptive was William’s nephew, Richard Hawkins Beauchamp. When Richard Hawkins Beauchamp, a resident of Dublin, died in 1904 he left £423,926 in his will. Walfords records a William Hawkins Ball of Fort Fergus and Ballinacally in 1910. By 1909 he had agreed the sale of his county Clare estate of 2,705 acres with the Congested Districts' Board. He wished to repurchase 305 acres. This William was born in 1874, the son of Captain William St. James Ball.
Ross-Lewin (Ross Hill)
- The Ross-Lewin estate was in the parishes of Kilchreest and Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare. George Ross of Fortfergus, parish of Kilchreest, county Clare, was High Sheriff of county Clare in 1664. John Ross-Lewin of Fortfergus was High Sheriff in 1724 and in the 18th century the Ross-Lewins intermarried with the Westropps, Stacpooles and the Lewins of county Mayo. Harrison Ross-Lewin, High Sheriff in 1755, had six sons, the three eldest John, George and Westropp lived at Fortfergus, Ross Hill and Cornfield respectively. By the mid 19th century Fortfergus and Cornfield were in the possession of Major William Ball and Ross Hill became the family seat in county Clare. The Lewin lands were in the parishes of Kilchreest and Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s three members of the Ross-Lewin family between them owned over 800 acres in county Clare. The Ross Hill estate appears to have been small at about 270 acres. Members of the Ross-Lewin family followed military or clerical careers.