- The Macnamaras held land in the parish of Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, from the late 17th century. In the 18th century Thady Macnamara was in possession of Ayle and in 1814 Thady Macnamara was occupying the house. Lewis records Ayle as the ancient seat of J. McNamara. By the mid 19th century Lieutenant Colonel James Dillon Macnamara owned the estate. He first advertised it for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in October 1850. The estate comprised of 1,514 acres included lands at Mount Sorrell or Knockatoo, county Galway, which were leased by the Butler estate from the Dillon McNamara family of Ayle. The property was again advertised for sale in 1851 and 1852.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation Joseph Browne held land in the parish of Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, which was previously in the possession of the Macnamara family. In the 1870s the representatives of Joseph Brown, William Saunderson and Charles Hastings of Newtownards and Kirkcubbin, county Down, owned 597 acres in county Clare.