Stacpoole (Eden Vale)
- The Stacpooles were a county Limerick Catholic family. Clement Stacpoole was transplanted to county Clare in 1651. William Stacpoole, his second son, acquired a lease of Annagh, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickan, from the Earl of Thomond and his branch of the family settled there. He became a Protestant in the early 18th century. In 1777 his grandson William Stacpoole purchased Eden Vale, parish of Killone, barony of Islands, from Mr Justice Patterson for £800 and an annual rent of £100. It remained in Stacpoole possession until 1926. Although the Stacpooles lived at Eden Vale, most of their estate was in the barony of Ibrickan in West Clare. In the 1870s Richard Stacpoole of Eden Vale owned 7,381 acres and was agent for over 22,000 acres in counties Clare and Carlow. He died in 1891. His widow Alice occupied the house in 1906, when it was valued at £50. Their son, Richard John Stacpoole, was the last to reside at Eden Vale. The house was sold in 1926 to Clare County Council for use as sanatorium for £9,500 and the Stacpooles bought a property near Cheltenham. In 1986 Eden Vale was sold by the Mid Western Health Board and is now in private hands. http://www.archerfamily.org.uk/family/stacpoole.htm
- The Pattersons were established in Ennis, county Clare, by the late 18th century. Marcus Patterson was Lord Chief Justice of Ireland from 1770-1787. Their estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation was in the parishes of Kilraghtis and Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper, Killaloe in the barony of Tulla Lower and Oughtmama in the barony of Burren. Lieutenant Colonel Marcus Paterson of Ballycurgan, Killaloe and Clifden House, Corrofin, owned 4,347 acres in county Clare in the 1870s.