- William Stamer, a member of an old English Protestant family from Essex, England, moved to county Kildare in the 1630s. A grandson George Stamer settled in county Clare after the Cromwellian settlement and was leasing Carnelly/Carrownanelly and Carhugar by the early 1670s from the Earl of Thomond. By the 1680s he was in possession of the castle of Clare and about 1,700 aces and held other lands from Viscount Clare in the barony of Moyarta and in County Limerick. However he lost much of his property during the Jacobite War but this was subsequently restored. When he died in 1708 he left all his estates to his son William, High Sheriff of Clare in 1717. William Stamer married Anna Bindon of Clooney, sister of the architect Francis Bindon who designed Carnelly house. Carnelly was built in the Queen Anne style sometime between 1730 and 1740. Succeeding generations of Stamers were High Sheriffs of Clare but seemed to die young. The male line died out in 1819 with the death of Lieutenant Colonel George William Stamer. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation his wife Mary J. Stamer held Carrownanelly in the parish of Clareabbey. His daughter married Savory, Duke de Rovigo in 1839 but the Duchess returned from France to live with her mother at Carnelly circa 1850. She had one daughter Marie de Rovigo who married Francis N. Burton of Carrigaholt, parish and barony of Moyarta, in 1866. Following their marriage they lived at Carnelly and the Duchess and her mother went to live at Stamer Park, Ennis. The Browns of Limerick appear to have been agent for this estate in the 1850s. The Burtons had no children and when Marie died in 1890 Carnelly passed to Guillamore O’Grady (1879-1952) a great great grandson of William Stamer of Carnelly (1750-1785) and after his death to the Vereker family Viscounts Gort. The family of Stamer baronets descend from the county Clare family.
- A family who settled at Clonboy, O'Briensbridge, county Clare in the early 18th century. They married members of prominent families in the locality including the Vincent and Odell families of Limerick. In 1752 John Brown of Danesford and Mount Brown married Meliora daughter and co heir of Colonel Henry Southwell, second son of Thomas Ist Viscount Southwell. From their two sons descend the Browns of Clonboy and the Browns of Mount Brown. Their daughters married Robert Peppard of Cappagh, John Finch, George Hewson and Michael Cantillon Heffernon. Their grandsons resided in a number of houses in the Rathkeale locality of county Limerick in the mid 19th century. In July 1862 lands belonging to Robert Lidwill Brown in the barony of Clanwilliam were advertised for sale. In the 1870s Robert Lidwill Brown of Eden Terrace, Limerick, owned 893 acres in county Clare. He acted as an estate agent for a number of landowners in counties Clare and Limerick.
- Frances, youngest daughter of the Reverend John Brown and his wife Meliora Southwell of Mount Brown, county Limerick, married Michael Cantillon Heffernan of Castleroberts in the late 18th century. In 1840 Caroline or Catherine Browning of Carass Court, county Limerick, married John Cantillon Heffernan. Two of their daughters married sons of Arthur Russell of Lemonfield. They had four sons and five daughters. John C. Heffernand was leasing an estate in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, from the Board of Trinity College, Dublin, in the mid 19th century. He also held land in the parish of Monasteranenagh, barony of Coshma and he and his partners held land in the parishes of Killeedy, Grange and Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper. In February the fee farm estate of Ida and Mary Caroline Wallace at Mainster including the dwelling house and also premises in Limerick city were advertised for sale. In the 1870s, the representatives of John Cantillon Heffernan, with an address at TCD, owned 276 acres in the county. John Heffernan Cantillon of Mannister House, Croom is also recorded as owning 2,465 acres in county Limerick at this time. The names Heffernan Cantillon and Cantillon Heffernan were both used in various sources but appear to refer to the same family.
Brown (Mount Brown)
- John Southwell Brown held an estate in the parishes of Croagh and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Killeenagarriff, Kilmurry and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He was a grandson of John Brown of Danesfort and Mount Brown, county Limerick and his wife Meliora Southwell, a granddaughter of 1st Viscount Southwell. In March 1853 Castle Matrix and lands at Rathkeale and Croagh were advertised for sale. They were held on a lease for 99 years Viscount Southwell to John S. Brown, dated 20 September 1849. The senior branch of the family was located at Clonboy, county Clare, although many family members lived in the Rathkeale locality. Colonel Edward Brown of Dromard House, Rathkeale, owned 1,272 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.
- The Pearse family held land in the vicinity of Limerick city during the 18th century and were closely associated with the Brown family.
- George Westropp, second son of John Westropp of Attyflin, county Limerick, married in 1841 Thomasina youngest daughter of Ralph Evans of Carker, county Cork. George Westropp was resident at Carker in 1846, according to Slater's Directory of that year. In the mid 19th century George Westropp held an estate in the parish of Castletownarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s George Westropp of Mallow, county Cork, owned 1,686 acres in county Tipperary.http://www.carkerhouse.com/history.html
- The Lidwells were established in county Tipperary from the mid 18th century. In 1826 Frederick Lidwell married Christinia, daughter of William Hutchinson of Timoney, county Tipperary. The Lidwill estate was mainly in the parish of Killavinoge, barony of Ikerrin but they also had land in the parish of Holycross, barony of Eliogarty. This family were still resident at Dromard in the 1970s. A junior branch of the family held properties at Clonmore and Cormackstown, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, following a marriage in 1736 between Thomas Lidwell and Jemima, daughter and heiress of Mark Cowley of Clonmore and Cormackstown. Cormackstown (609 acres) was advertised for sale in July 1852 and Dromard (641 acres) in February 1854. Dromard was held on a lease from George Mathew to Robert Lidwell dated 17 October 1709. Clonmore (1201 acres) was advertised for sale in May 1858. George Lidwell of Dromard owned 1,345 acres in county Tipperary and 267 acres in Queen's County (county Laois) in the 1870s.