- The Lords Dunboyne of the 19th century were descended from James Butler of Cragnagowra, county Clare and his wife Bridget Sheedy. James Butler of Cragnagowra was descended from James 11th Baron Dunboyne and his second wife Margaret O’Brien a daughter of Donough Earl of Thomond. In the mid 19th century Theobald FitzWalter Butler Baron Dunboyne and Lady Dunboyne held lands in county Clare scattered over four baronies and in the parishes of Kilmaley (Islands), Tomfinlough (Bunratty Lower), Quin (Bunratty Upper) and Tomgraney (Tulla Upper). Lord Dunboyne of Knoggogue Castle owned 1,237 acres in the 1870s. Lord Dunboyne collected estate sale rentals, newspaper cuttings and other items of interest relating to county Clare. His bound volumes of Encumbered and Landed Estate sale rentals and Griffith's Valuation are in the James Hardiman Library at the National University in Galway and the National Library holds 59 volumes of other items, mainly newspaper cuttings, collected by him relating to county Clare, MSS 3321-3379. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Messrs Butler held the townland of Rathmoy, parish of Glenkeen, baronyof Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. Rathmoy was advertised for sale in November 1880 the estate of John Butler continued in the name of Robert Francis Theobald Dunboyne Butler, a minor.