Canny (Newmarket on Fergus)
- This family was resident in the Newmarket on Fergus locality of county Clare from the early 19th century. In the mid 19th century Matthew Canny held townlands in the parishes of Feenagh, Drumline (from John R. Miller) and Bunratty (from John Westropp), barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. In the 1870s Denis J. Canny owned 683 acres in county Clare. This acreage made up of the lands of Ballycasey and Tullyvariga, barony of Bunratty Lower, was advertised for sale in March 1879. The details of the sale rental show that Ballycasey was leased to Denis and John Canny in 1823 by Sir John Riggs Miller. The house was subleased to Denis Kennedy at the time of the sale. Dr Denis Joseph Canny was the son of Mathew Canny and Margaret Taaffe and John and Jane appear to be his siblings. Denis Canny, a bankrupt, was dead by 1879 and his estate was sold on behalf of his assignees. The Irish Times reported that John R. Miller was the purchaser. By a lease dated 17 February 1851 John Westropp of Carnelly (and later of Attyflin) leased Clonmoney to Matthew Canny of Clonmoney, who apparently subleased it to Michael Macnamara. Macnamara's executors adverstised the sale of his interest in 1880.