- In 1702 Nicholas Colthurst of Ballyally, county Cork, purchased over 1,000 acres from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates, including Ardrum. Sir George Conway Colthurst owned over 31,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. In 1846 he married Louisa Jane Jefferyes of Blarney Castle and the Jefferyes estate was eventually inherited by the Colthursts. Some of the Colthurst estate was in the parishes of Dromtarriff, barony of Duhallow, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Grenagh, barony of Barretts but most of it was in the parish of Ballyvourney, barony of West Muskerry. The family had also previously held property in county Kerry owing to their descent from the Conway family, who had held large estates up to the nineteenth century. In 1856, over 3500 acres of the Colthurst estate in the barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that this included lands in the parish of Annagh. The Danesfort estate, leased to the Butcher family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, in 1874. In 2009 Sir Charles Colthurst of Blarney Castle donated the papers relating to the estate and the Colthurst family to the Cork City and County Archives, adding to a previous legal collection relating to this family already in the Archives.
- Samuel Butcher was leasing the Danesfort estate from the Colthurst family in the nineteenth century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend Samuel Butcher was leasing land from the Earl of Shannon in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In June 1863 the 733 acre estate of Samuel Butcher, Richard George Butcher, John Barlow Butcher, Arthur Butcher and of their trustees at Kilmackarane , barony of Duhallow, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s the Right Reverend Dr Butcher of Ardbraccan House, Navan, owned 733 acres in county Cork. Property in county Kerry owned by Dr Butcher was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1874 but the sale was adjourned due to insufficient bidding.
Colthurst (Dripsey Castle)
- This county Cork family was a junior branch of the Colthurst family, baronets and were descended from James Colthurst, brother of the 1st Baronet. John Colthurst of Dripsey Castle married Jane, daughter of John Bowen of Oak Grove, county Cork. Three of their grandsons lived at houses in West Cork, John Henry at Dripsey Castle, George at Carhue House and Joseph succeeded Henry in 1865. Their granddaughter Peggy married Alfred Greer and this couple were living at Dripsey Castle in the 1870s. Alfred Greer appears to have purchased part of the Dripsey estate, which was advertised for sale in October 1851. It was comprised of over 1,900 acres in 1851. The Greer's daughter Georgina succeeded to Dripsey Castle. In 1878 she married Robert Walter Travers Bowen, who took the additional name of Colthurst in 1882. It was their son, John Bowen Colthurst, who ordered the shooting of Francis Sheehy-Skeffington in 1916. In the 1870s George Colthurst of Carhoo Lower and Joseph Colthurst of Carrignamuck, Coachford, owned 284 and 463 acres respectively in county Cork, while Alfred Greer of Dripsey owned 930 acres in county Cork and 244 acres in county Armagh.
- Major James St. John Jefferyes/Jeffreys (1734-1796) was the son of James Jefferyes and Louisa Colman. He married twice. By his second wife Arabella, daughter of John FitzGibbon, he had an only son George Charles Jeffereys. George C. Jefferyes married Anne La Touche and left an only son, St John George Jefferyes, who married Harriet Taylor. They had a son also named St John G. Jefferyes and a daughter Louisa who married in 1846 Sir George C. Colthurst, 5th Baronet. The Colthursts succeeded to the Jefferyes estate. The Jefferyes estate was mainly located in the parish of Garrycloyne, but also in the parishes of Carrigrohanebeg and Matehy, barony of East Muskerry and Currykippane, barony of Cork, county Cork.