- The Caswell family were farmers and millers in the Blackwater locality, parish of St Patricks, county Clare, just north of Limerick city. Memorials in the Registry of Deeds record Andrew Caswell leasing part of his holding in Derramore Mill, which he held from Thomas McAdam, to his eldest son Samuel Caswell in 1801. In 1837 Lewis refers to the two large flour mills owned by S. Caswell at Blackwater. In the mid 19th century Samuel and Andrew Caswell both held townlands in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, while Mary Caswell held land in the parish of Killaloe, barony of Tulla Lower. Samuel Caswell's house, offices, miller's house and flour mill at Rosmadda West were valued at £85 in Griffith's Valuation. He had purchased Rosmadda and other lands from the sale of the Clive estate in 1842. In the 1870s Mary Caswell of Blackwater owned 935 acres according to the return of landowners of one acre or more while Hussey gives her acreage as 2,995 acres. In 1877 Mary Eliza Caswell married as his second wife Richard M.S. Maunsell of Oakly Park, county Kildare and their son sold the Caswell estate to the Congested Districts' Board in the 1910s. A detailed account of the Caswell family can be consulted at www.moonraker.com/genealogy/caswell/relatives.doc
Maunsell (Oakly Park & Blackwater)
- This was a junior branch of the Maunsell family of Ballywilliam, county Limerick. Their main residence was at Oakly Park, Celbridge, county Kildare. They held land in the parishes of Caherconlish and Inch St Lawrence, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. In the 1870s their estate amounted to 1,190 acres in county Limerick and 1,308 acres in county Kildare. In 1877 Richard Mark Synnot Maunsell married as his second wife Mary Eliza, daughter and heiress of Samuel Caswell of Blackwater, county Clare and their son Richard John Caswell Maunsell succeeded his father in 1907. By 1916 R.J.C. Maunsell had agreed to sell his 2,057 acres of tenanted land in county Clare to the Congested Districts' Board.