Vereker (Viscount Gort)
- Lough Cutra or Lough Cooter was originally O'Shaughnessy land which was granted to Thomas Prendergast at the end of the 17th century. Lord Gort is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. It passed through the Prendergasts to the Verekers in the 19th century. J.P Vereker, of Roxboro, Limerick, was the proprietor of some townlands in the parish of Beagh in the 1830s and the agent for these was P. Kelly. James Slator and James Lahiff of Gort are also recorded as agents for Lord Gort and W. Forster as a middleman. Lord Gort sold his county Galway estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court in the early 1850s. In 1852 the Freeman's Journal reported that Lough Cooter was purchased by
James Caulfield, in trust for Mrs. Ball, superioress of the Loretto Convent, Rathfarnham. Vicesimus Knox was the purchaser of several other lots at the same sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Gort held land in the parish of Caheravally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. This estate was comprised of 940 acres in the 1870s. His brother the Honourable John Vereker owned 1,482 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.
- William Stamer, a member of an old English Protestant family from Essex, England, moved to county Kildare in the 1630s. A grandson George Stamer settled in county Clare after the Cromwellian settlement and was leasing Carnelly/Carrownanelly and Carhugar by the early 1670s from the Earl of Thomond. By the 1680s he was in possession of the castle of Clare and about 1,700 aces and held other lands from Viscount Clare in the barony of Moyarta and in County Limerick. However he lost much of his property during the Jacobite War but this was subsequently restored. When he died in 1708 he left all his estates to his son William, High Sheriff of Clare in 1717. William Stamer married Anna Bindon of Clooney, sister of the architect Francis Bindon who designed Carnelly house. Carnelly was built in the Queen Anne style sometime between 1730 and 1740. Succeeding generations of Stamers were High Sheriffs of Clare but seemed to die young. The male line died out in 1819 with the death of Lieutenant Colonel George William Stamer. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation his wife Mary J. Stamer held Carrownanelly in the parish of Clareabbey. His daughter married Savory, Duke de Rovigo in 1839 but the Duchess returned from France to live with her mother at Carnelly circa 1850. She had one daughter Marie de Rovigo who married Francis N. Burton of Carrigaholt, parish and barony of Moyarta, in 1866. Following their marriage they lived at Carnelly and the Duchess and her mother went to live at Stamer Park, Ennis. The Browns of Limerick appear to have been agent for this estate in the 1850s. The Burtons had no children and when Marie died in 1890 Carnelly passed to Guillamore O’Grady (1879-1952) a great great grandson of William Stamer of Carnelly (1750-1785) and after his death to the Vereker family Viscounts Gort. The family of Stamer baronets descend from the county Clare family.
- Edward O'Grady was a younger brother of Standish O'Grady 1st Viscount Guillamore. He married Mary daughter of William Stamer of Carnelly, county Clare and had a son Edward and a daughter Julia who married in 1840 as her first husband Wellington A. Rose. In 1856 she married Sir Edward Fitzgerald baronet. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward O'Grady held land in the parish of Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick. In the 1870s Edward Stamer O'Grady of Abbeyfeale and Dublin owned 1,438 acres in county Limerick. His grandson Guillamore O’Grady (1879-1952) eventually inherited the Stamer home Carnelly.