- In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record that John Spottswood was leasing property in the parish of Caher, barony of Iveragh, from the O'Connell of Grena estate. John Spottiswoode was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Caher, barony of Iveragh, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Over 3000 acres of his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1851. In 1856 lands originally held by the Spottswood estate from the O'Connells were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court by Francis Woodley Lindsay. Maurice Spottiswoode, MD, of Caherciveen, held 295 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s.