Mahony (Dunkerron South)
- This branch of the ancient Gaelic family of O'Mahony is descended from the county Cork family of Kinalmeaky, mostly through marriages into the O'Connell and O'Sullivan families in the early modern period. The representatives of Rev. D. Mahony were among the principal lessors in the parish of Killorglin, barony of Dunkerron North, the parish of Templenoe, Dunkerron South and the parish of Kilflynn, barony of Clanmaurice, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The Mahonys also held property in the parish of Killeentierna, barony of Magunihy, at the same time. In 1860 over 5600 acres of John Mahony's estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The tenure details indicate the Mahonys had leased this property from the Sullivan family in 1697.
Richard Mahony, of Dromore Castle, Kenmare, owned over 26,000 acres in Kerry in the 1870s.