- The Herberts were granted land in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. Smith indicates that two members of the family received lands in Kerry after the Desmond rebellion, Sir William Herbert received over 13,000 acres while Charles Herbert received over 3000 acres. The Herbert who eventually settled there was Thomas, descended from a family in Montgomery, Powys, in Wales. Over the next three centuries they were to remain amongst the foremost families in Kerry. Henry Arthur Herbert, MP, was one of the principal lessors of property in the baronies of Dunkerron North and Magunihy, as well as holding some property in the barony of Trughanacmy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s his estate amounted to over 47,000 acres in county Kerry. The centre of this large estate was at Muckross, close to Killarney, much of it now included in the Killarney National Park. The family fortunes declined systematically in the late 19th century and most of the estate was sold in the 1890s. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 400 acres of the Herbert estate in 1914.
- The Herberts of Cahernane descended from the same family as those at Muckross. Smith indicates that two members of the family received lands in Kerry after the Desmond rebellion, Sir William Herbert received over 13,000 acres while Charles Herbert received over 3000 acres. Over 300 acres of Rev. Richard Herbert's estate at Tullig, barony of Magunihy, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1858. In 1865, the Brewsterfield property of Arthur Orpen and Elizabeth Herbert was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court as well as premises in Killarney town. The sale in July was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. In the 1870s the Cahernane family estate amounted to over 3000 acres in county Kerry. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the representatives of Rev. B. Herbert were among the principal lessors in the parish of Killaha while Rev. Edward Herbert was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilnanare, both in the barony of Magunihy. Rev. Richard Herbert held several townlands in the parish of Currans, barony of Trughanacmy. Lands held under lease by Timothy Kennedy from Rev. Richard Herbert's estate were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1881.
- Burke describes the Orpen family as claiming great antiquity. They settled in Ireland after the Cromwellian wars and married into some of the other influential families in county Kerry including the Herberts. Richard Orpen was agent for Sir William Petty on his county Kerry estates.
Over 4000 acres of the estate of Richard Becher Opren in the barony of Glanarought were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1852. The petitioner was John B. Warren, who later acquired parts of the Orpen lands in this area. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855.
Richard J.T. Orpen was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kenmare and Kilgravan at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s the estate of the late Sir Richard Orpen amounted to over 12,000 acres in county Kerry as well as 300 acres in county Cork. The representatives of F.H. Orpen were the proprietors of 800 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Orpen (Killaha Castle)
- This branch of the Orpen family descend from Samuel Orpen of Woodville, county Kerry and his wife Sophia Hungerford of the Island, county Cork. Samuel was the fourth son of Richard Orpen of Ardtully, county Kerry and his wife Grace Riggs of Riggsdale, county Cork. Samuel's eldest son Richard Hungerford Orpen married in 1832 Frances Diana daughter and co heiress of the Reverend Bastable Herbert of Brewsterfield, county Kerry. In the 1870s the Orpens of Killaha Castle owned 995 acres in county Cork and 4348 acres in county Kerry.