Burton (Burton Hall)
- The Burton family of Burton Hall, county Carlow held land in the barony of Tirerrill, county Sligo. Samuel Burton of Burton Hall was Member of Parliament for the county in 1713. The head of the family in 1835 was William FitzWilliam Burton. In the 1860s property held by the Ramsay estate in the town of Sligo and the barony of Carbury was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The particulars indicate that the original lease was between Cornet Francis Burton, of Burton Hall, and Laurence Vernon.
Burton (Buncraggy & Carrigaholt)
- Samuel Burton of Buncraggy, county Clare, married Margaret Harris and died in 1712. From their eldest son Francis descend the Marquesses of Conyngham and the Burtons of Carrigaholt and from their younger son, Benjamin Burton, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1703 and Member of Parliament 1703-1723, descend the Burtons of Burton Hall, county Carlow. Francis Burton was a member of a partnership who purchased the forfeited estates of Viscount Clare from the Earl of Albemarle in 1698. His partners were Nicholas Westby and James McDonnell. The Burtons also acquired land from the Ingoldsbys and the Earl of Thomond. Francis's son, another Francis Burton, married Mary Conyngham and their son, Francis Pierpont Burton, succeeded his uncle as 2nd Baron Conyngham. The 2nd Baron married Elizabeth Clements and they had twin sons, Henry who became Marquess of Conyngham and Francis, father of Henry Stuart Burton of Carrigaholt Castle, who owned an estate consisting of 14 townlands in the parishes of Kilmacduane, Moyarta and Kilrush, barony of Moyarta, county Clare, in the mid 19th century. Henry S. Burton also had some land in the parish of Killone, barony of Islands. He had three sons and four daughters but none of his sons had any children so the male line died out in 1919. His eldest son, Francis N. V. Burton of Carnelly and Carrigaholt, owned an estate of 9,669 acres in the mid 1870s. His wife was Marie, daughter and heiress of Savory, Duke de Rovigo. The Conyngham Papers in the National Library of Ireland contain records relating to the Burton estates.
- Of Scottish descent, Henry Conyngham, member of parliament for county Donegal, supported the Williamite cause. His son, also Henry, was elevated to the peerage as Baron Conyngham of Mount Charles, County Donegal in 1753, Viscount Conyngham in 1756 and Earl and Baron Conyngham in 1781. He was succeeded in the title Baron Conyngham by his nephew, Francis Pierpoint Burton of Buncraggy, county Clare, from whom descend the Marquesses of Conygham of Slane Castle, county Meath and the Burtons of Carrigaholt Castle, county Clare. Henry, 3rd Baron Conyngham, was created Marquess of Conyngham in 1816. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation the Marquess’s county Clare estate was mainly in the barony of Islands, parishes of Clondagad, Clareabbey, Killone, Kilmaley and Drumcliff, the barony of Bunratty Lower, where he held fourteen townlands in the parish of Killely and the barony of Moyarta, parishes of Kilmacduane and Kilfearagh. Other lands were held in the baronies of Bunratty Upper and Inchiquin. In November 1867 the sale of lands and premises at Kilkee, part of the Conyngham estate, were advertised for sale. The Conyngham estate in county Clare was comprised of 27,613 acres in the 1870s.The Marquess also held a further 122,300 acres in county Donegal and 7,060 acres in county Meath. In November 1880 over 10,600 acres of the Marquess's estate was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court.
- William Stamer, a member of an old English Protestant family from Essex, England, moved to county Kildare in the 1630s. A grandson George Stamer settled in county Clare after the Cromwellian settlement and was leasing Carnelly/Carrownanelly and Carhugar by the early 1670s from the Earl of Thomond. By the 1680s he was in possession of the castle of Clare and about 1,700 aces and held other lands from Viscount Clare in the barony of Moyarta and in County Limerick. However he lost much of his property during the Jacobite War but this was subsequently restored. When he died in 1708 he left all his estates to his son William, High Sheriff of Clare in 1717. William Stamer married Anna Bindon of Clooney, sister of the architect Francis Bindon who designed Carnelly house. Carnelly was built in the Queen Anne style sometime between 1730 and 1740. Succeeding generations of Stamers were High Sheriffs of Clare but seemed to die young. The male line died out in 1819 with the death of Lieutenant Colonel George William Stamer. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation his wife Mary J. Stamer held Carrownanelly in the parish of Clareabbey. His daughter married Savory, Duke de Rovigo in 1839 but the Duchess returned from France to live with her mother at Carnelly circa 1850. She had one daughter Marie de Rovigo who married Francis N. Burton of Carrigaholt, parish and barony of Moyarta, in 1866. Following their marriage they lived at Carnelly and the Duchess and her mother went to live at Stamer Park, Ennis. The Browns of Limerick appear to have been agent for this estate in the 1850s. The Burtons had no children and when Marie died in 1890 Carnelly passed to Guillamore O’Grady (1879-1952) a great great grandson of William Stamer of Carnelly (1750-1785) and after his death to the Vereker family Viscounts Gort. The family of Stamer baronets descend from the county Clare family.