- A branch of the Gore family of Clonroad, Ennis, county Clare and later of Tyredagh Castle, Joseph Gore, second son of Francis and Christianna Gore, inherited the Derrymore estate in the first half of the 19th century. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Joseph's son, Edward A. Gore,held thirteen townlands in the parish of Killilagh, barony of Corcomroe and another thirteen townlands in the parishes of Killuran, barony of Tulla Lower and Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper and also land in the parish of Clondagad, barony of Islands. Joseph's widow, Margaret Gore, held land in the parishes of Feakle and Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper and Kilchreest, barony of Clonderalaw. Major Edward Arthur Gore of Derrymore owned 8,561 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. He had an only son, Reginald Edward Gore, who, in 1907, married a daughter of the 20th Earl of Shrewsbury.
Gore (Clonroad & Tyredagh Castle)
- In 1712 Henry 8th Earl of Thomond leased Clonroad, parish of Drumcliff, barony of Islands, county Clare, to Francis Gore in perpetuity at an annual rent of £60, as well as Lifford and the Abbey lands of Ennis and Drumbiggle. Weir writes that the Gore family lived in the 17th century house of Clonroad until the 1840s when it was rebuilt and extended. Mrs Mary Gore sold the property in 1852. In the latter half of the 18th century the Gores appear to have lived at Derrymore, parish of Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper. In 1797 Francis Gore of Derrymore married Christianna daughter of Sir Joseph Peacocke of Barntick. Their eldest son Francis married Mary daughter and co heir of Edmond Browne of Newgrove and of his wife Anne Hickman of Kilmore. By the mid 19th century the Gores were leasing Tyredagh Castle from the Brownes. In the mid 19th century Francis Gore’s estate was in the parish of Drumcliffe, barony of Islands. Over 1,000 acres in the vicinity of Ennis was advertised for sale in November 1852 and Lifford and other property north of the town in 1868. In the 1870s his son Francis William Gore of Kilmore, owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare. Francis William Gore of Tyredagh assumed the surname of Hickman in 1878. In the mid 20th century the head of the Gore Hickman family was living in Canada. In the 1850s Captain Charles William Gore, fourth son of Francis and Christianna Gore of Derrymore lived at Larch Hill, (Reaskaun), parish of Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper and held land in the parishes of Kilfinaghta and St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower. In the 1870s he owned 399 acres in county Clare.