- Arthur Browne, a younger son of John Browne of Westport 1st Earl of Altamont was given an estate in county Roscommon purchased by his father circa 1770s from Christopher Irwin [of Newtown, Leabeg and Oran]. Arthur's grandson another Arthur Browne of Newtown, county Roscommon, held land in the parishes of Cloonygormican and Oran, barony of Ballymoe at the time of Griffith's Valutation. In 1828 he was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Part of Newtown was held by the Very Reverend Henry Montague Browne, Dean of Lismore, a son of the 2nd Lord Kilmaine. The lands of Newtown were advertised for sale in June 1857 by Arthur Browne and Elizabeth Dowton. In the 1870s Ellen C. Browne of Clontarf, county Dublin, sister of Arthur Browne, owned 338 acres in county Roscommon and the Very Reverend Dean Browne of Kilkenny owned 360 acres.
Browne (Mount Browne)
- George Browne held 3 townlands in the parish of Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation which he purchased from the sale of Gilbert Conry's estate in 1853 and had a house at Falsk in the parish of Killukin. He was a brother of Arthur Browne of Newtown, parish of Oran and a descendant of John Browne 1st Earl of Altamont. Arthur Browne, third son of George, owned an estate of 455 acres at Mount Browne in the 1870s.