- ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Arthur French of Tyrone bought Cloonyquin from the Right Honourable William Conolly, who had bought it from the Trustess of Irish Forfeitures. From Arthur French's second marriage to the widow of Iriel Farrell of Cloonyquin descend this branch of the French family. Arthur French of Cloonyquin bought part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the late 17th century. In 1828 William French of Clooniquin was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the French estate was in the parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon. Some of it was leased by Patrick Taaffe of Foxborough. Christopher French of Cloonyquin owned 3,701 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Part of the French estate was conveyed to the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.
- A family of Taaffe were established as landowners in the Strokestown area from the 18th century. Gerald Dillon writes that they were apparently a junior branch of the Taaffes of Smarmore Castle, county Louth. In the mid 19th century Patrick Taaffe held lands in the parishes of Elphin, Killukin and Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, from a number of land owners but mainly from Christopher French of Cloonyquin and James Dillon. Joanna and Julia Taaffe offered over 600 acres in county Mayo and over 1000 acres in county Roscommon for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1856. The Mayo estates were in the barony of Costello while the Roscommon lands were in the barony of Frenchpark and were formerly the estate of Christopher Taaffe, deceased. The Mayo lands were purchased by Mr.O'Hagan in trust while the Roscommon lands were purchased by Mr. O'Grady. In the 1870s Patrick Taaffe of Foxboro, Tulsk, owned 171 acres in county Roscommon. The estate of Joseph Plunkett Taaffe in the parishes of Killukin and Kiltrustan was advertised for sale in June 1883. The Irish Times reported that this property had been purchased in trust on behalf of Dr. Scallan for £2000. Gormley states that the Taaffes had formerly been an influential family in the area but had lost their inheritence thorough maintaining a lavish lifestyle. Members of this family are buried in the graveyard of Tulsk Abbey.
- In the late 18th century Patrick Dillon owned land in the parishes of Clooncraff, Killukin and Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon, some of which he leased to George Taaffe and James Begg. These lands amounting to over 1,000 acres, the estate of James Dillon, were advertised for sale in June 1853 and February 1854. In June 1855 a further 500 acres of James Dillon's estate, at Brackloon, parish of Kilcorkey, barony of Castlereagh, was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates court. It was the subject of chancery proceedings at the time.