- Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Essex owned land mainly in the parish of Roscommon but also in the parishes of Kilteevan and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South (Kilbride-Martin sale July 1885) and in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, (Neligan sale Feb 1862), county Roscommon. In the 1870s the 6th Earl of Essex owned 2,906 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Meath, Wicklow and Dublin. 2,866 acres of tenanted land in county Roscommon belonging to the Earl of Essex was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915.
- The Reverend William Battersby held land in the parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, in the 1850s. Mary Maud Caulfield of Benown married as her second husband Reverend William Battersby. Under 200 acres in the baronies of Ballintober South and Athlone held on a fee farm grant from the Earl of Essex to Charles John Battersby of Cromlyn, Rathowen, county Westmeath, were advertised for sale in May 1863.