- The Earls of Erne owned property in several western counties including Sligo and Mayo. This was acquired in the 18th century through inheritence from the Smith family. The Cloverhill estate, county Sligo, was occupied for much of the 19th century by the Chambers family. The Earl of Erne's estate also owned land in the parish of Drumrat, barony of Corran, county Sligo. The Earl's Mayo property was in the parishes of Aglish and Breaghwy, barony of Carra, and Ballinchalla, barony of Kilmaine. He employed various agents including Ormsby Elwood, James Ruttledge and Charles Boycott. It was on his property at Lough Mask in the parish of Ballinchalla that the first "boycotting" incident took place in 1880. The county Mayo estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 29 January1914.The Earls of Erne had an estate of over 30,000 in county Fermanagh and their residence was Crom Castle, near Newtownbutler.
- The Chambers family came to Kilmacowen in the 18th century when they took over the former Smith estate at Cloverhill. Roger Chambers, his wife, seven children and four servants are recorded as living at Cloverhill in the 1749 Census of Elphin. The Smith property had passed, through inheritence, to the Crichtons, Earls of Erne, of Crom Castle, Co. Fermanagh. The Chambers also had associations with this family and acted as agents on their Sligo estates. In 1857 Charles Chambers was leasing the house at Cloverhill, valued at £28, from the Earl of Erne.