- The King family descend from the Reverend Edward King, Bishop of Elphin (1611-1639) who was granted lands forfeited by the O'Beirnes in the Drumsna area of county Roscommon early in the 17th century. The Bishop built the original houses at Charlestown and Kilmore. Members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim in the eighteenth century. Gilbert King was made a baronet in July 1815 and died in 1818. He was succeeded by his nephew Robert, who died in 1825. Robert's son Gilbert became the 3rd baronet and at the time of Griffith's Valuation he held an estate in the parishes of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North and Aughrim, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s Sir Gilbert King owned 1,858 acres in county Roscommon, 4,328 acres in county Sligo and 480 acres in county Leitrim.The King estate in North Sligo was principally in the parish of Drumcliff though Griffith's Valuation and the Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate Sir Gilbert King was the owner of a number of townlands in Tawnagh parish in Tirerrill barony also. In the 1870s Henry King owned over 1500 acres in county Sligo. . Extensive estates were also held in Leitrim and Roscommon. James King is recorded as owning over 2200 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s while John King, with an address in France, owned almost 2500 acres.
- The King family of Ballylin, Ferbane, King's county (county Offaly) shared a common ancestry with the King family of Charlestown House, Drumsna, county Roscommon. John King established himself at Ballylin in the mid 18th century. He was succeeded at Ballylin by his nephew, Reverend Henry King, who held lands in the county Roscommon parishes of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Elphin, barony of Roscommon and Kilmacumsy, barony of Frenchpark at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s John Gilbert King of Ballylin owned 1033 acres in county Roscommon and 10,175 acres in King's county.
- The families of Hugh O'Beirne and Patrick O'Beirne were both descended from Teige O'Beirne resident in the Drumsna area in the early 18th century. These two branches of the O'Beirne family were living at Jamestown and Dangan (the original O'Beirne stronghold) in the early 19th century. Patrick O'Beirne was a son of Colonel Andrew O'Beirne, Chief of the O'Beirne clan in the late 18th century. Andrew lost most of his property after the 1798 rebellion and four of his sons emigrated from Ireland. Patrick remained at Dangan and O'Beirnes continued to live there until at least the late 1830s.