- Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Essex owned land mainly in the parish of Roscommon but also in the parishes of Kilteevan and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South (Kilbride-Martin sale July 1885) and in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, (Neligan sale Feb 1862), county Roscommon. In the 1870s the 6th Earl of Essex owned 2,906 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Meath, Wicklow and Dublin. 2,866 acres of tenanted land in county Roscommon belonging to the Earl of Essex was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915.
- In the 1870s Mrs Frances Wills Martin of Heart's Content, Newfoundland, Canada, held an estate of 925 acres in county Roscommon. Her lands in the parishes of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe and in the parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South were advertised for sale by her and her husband Edward Needham Martin in July 1885. Rathconor in the parish of Kilbride was held on a lease from the Earl of Essex to Peter Keogh and Elizabeth Crofton dated 26 June 1851.The lands in the parish of Cloonygormican were held in fee.