- Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Essex owned land mainly in the parish of Roscommon but also in the parishes of Kilteevan and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South (Kilbride-Martin sale July 1885) and in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, (Neligan sale Feb 1862), county Roscommon. In the 1870s the 6th Earl of Essex owned 2,906 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Meath, Wicklow and Dublin. 2,866 acres of tenanted land in county Roscommon belonging to the Earl of Essex was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 Mar 1915.
- The Hodsons appear to have been resident at St Johns, near Athlone from at least the early 18th century. Edward Stewart Gray writes that Jane Hodson, daughter of John Hodson of St Johns and granddaughter of Colonel Daniel Hodson married James Irwin of Roxborough, county Roscommon, High Sheriff 1731. The Hodsons held land in the parishes of Kiltoom and St Johns, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. Some family members were clergymen of the Church of Ireland and they are stated to have been descended from Bishop John Hodson of Elphin. In the 1870s Edward Hodson of Hodson's Bay owned 35 acres in county Roscommon and Edward and John Hodson of Twyford, Athlone, county Westmeath, each owned 90 acres in county Roscommon.
- The Neligans held the 664 acres of the townland of Emlaghmore, parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon, by a fee farm grant from the Earl of Essex to William Neligan, dated 27 Oct 1852. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the townland was in the possession of Dr William H. Nelligan and Catherine A. Mennons. Emlaghmore was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in July 1861 and February 1862 by members of the Clery [Cork city] and Neligan families. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s there were 2 houses Temp House and Church House in the townland of Emlaghmore. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Mills Hodson held a house in Emlaghmore from Dr William Neligan valued at £11 and Tobias Kelly held a house in the same townland from Catherine Mennons valued at £13. The Hudsons advertised for sale the rental of one third of the lands of Emlaghmore in May 1875.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation Catherine Anna Mennons held a small townland of 29 acres of land in the parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, advertised for sale in June 1858. She also had an interest in the Neligan estate in the parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon. In May 1865 members of the Mennons family and of the Gray, Main, Wunsch and Brownhill families advertised for sale the rental of the lands of Ardkell, parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, which they held from the Pellys. In the 1870s a Mrs Daly with an address care of Mme Mennon, Villa Roseau, a Sevres, France, owned 602 acres in county Roscommon.