Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey)
- The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlereagh. In 1741 Mrs. Dorothy Knox was given a lease of Moyne Abbey in the parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley for 999 years by James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. The Knoxes leased Moyne to the Jones in the 19th century. In that century the Blake Knoxes owned an estate in the parishes of Kilconduff, Templemore and Kildacommoge, in the barony of Gallen, and in the parish of Kildacommage, barony of Carra, county Mayo. They also had some lands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Clare, county Galway and in the parishes of Rahara, barony of Athlone and Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon. Their county Mayo agent in the 1830s was George Knipe of Carn Hill, Belturbet. In 1834 Francis Blake Knox married Jane Knipe. In the 1870s the representatives of Francis Blake Knox owned 1,337 acres in county Galway. Henry Blake Knox of Moyne Abbey and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned 4662 acres in county Mayo , while his brother, Ernest Edward Knox, owned 1074 acres in county Roscommon and their uncle, Lieutenant Colonel William Knox of Brittas Castle, Thurles, county Tipperary, owned 1352 acres in county Mayo and 993 acres in county Tipperary. Lieutenant-Colonel William Knox bought the Brittas estate from the Langley family in 1853. It was mainly located in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty. The estate of Henry Blake Knox was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 19 Mar 1914.
- In the mid 19th century the Sproule estate was in the parish of Rahara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. They also held some land at Mount William, near Adare in county Limerick. In the 1870s James Sproule of Cartrantroy, Athlone, owned 797 acres in county Roscommon and 232 acres in county Westmeath. Miss D. Sproule of Athlone, Robert Sproule of Caltrag, Lecarrow and William Thomas Sproule of Ferbane owned smaller acreages in the county. See http://www.cindy.spruill.com/Athlone%20Sproule's.doc