- Robert Blakeney, a member of a family of Elizabethan settlers, was granted lands at Castle Blakeney, parish of Killosolan, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, by the Cromwellian Commissioners. This grant was confirmed by royal patent dated 27 Nov 1688, when Thomas Lovelace and Ralph Fenwick, the executors of the will of Major Robert Blakeney of Gallagh, were granted over 2,200 acres in the baronies of Tiaquin and Kilconnell, county Galway and in counties Mayo and Kilkenny. Castle Blakeney was burnt in the 1720s and the Blakeneys went to live at Abbert, which they bought from the Frenches and where they continued to reside until the beginning of the 20th century. Mr. Filgate of Ahascragh is recorded in the OS Name Books as their agent for the Ardrahan lands. Fee simple estates of John Henry Blakeney in the parish of Kilbride and at Caherateige, parish of Ardrahan, county Galway, were advertised for sale in 1855. The Freeman's Journal reported that the lands at Caheratigue in Ardrahan parish were bought in trust by Vesey Daly for over £1500. In 1862, lands belonging to John Blakeney were sold in the Landed Estates Court. The purchasers included James Smyth of Masonbrook, Henry Rose of Ballyclough, county Limerick, and R.O. Armstrong. The Blakeneys owned an estate of 7,504 acres situated in the parishes of Ballymacward, Killosolan and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin as well as lands in the parish of Ardrahan in the barony of Dunkellin and in the parishes of Drumatemple, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon. In 1885 Terence Lynam was advertising for sale 172 acres at Corgowan in the parish of Kilbride, formerly part of the Blakeney estate. Over 1,500 acres of the Blakeney estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 23 Nov 1911. John Blakeney, together with Richard O'Connor, was leasing 197 acres and a house valued at £3 10s in the parish of Kilconickney, to Charles Donnellan in 1855. Blakeney is also recorded as the proprietor of townlands in this parish in the 1830s. In 1824 he is listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway.
Mitchell (Castle Strange)
- Cornet Thomas Mitchell from Scotland settled at Castlestrange, county Roscommon in the mid 17th century. In 1828 Edward Mitchell of Castlestrange was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Members of the Mitchell family were advertising the sale of leasehold property in the parish of Fuerty, barony of Athlone, in March 1854. The Freeman's Journal reported that they were purchased by Thomas Palmer for almost £3000. Edward Mitchell is recorded as owning four townlands in the parish of Fuerty, barony of Athlone and his brother, Colonel John Mitchell, held one townland in the mid 1850s. Mary Anne Blakeney married John Henry Mitchell of Coolmeen and had a son and a daughter who advertised the sale of the Blakeney lands of Lisnamult, parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South and the lands of Ballyhubert, parish of Lissonuffy, barony of Roscommon in January 1852. The Freeman's Journal reported that Lisnamult was purchased by B.W. Bagot while Ballyhubert was bought in trust for Patrick O'Connor. The representatives of John Mitchell also held a townland in the parish of Cloonfinlough, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s Major General John Wray Mitchell of Castlestrange owned 987 acres in county Roscommon. [A Joseph Mitchell of Dublin purchased over 3,300 acres in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon from the trustees for forfeited estates in 1703 but he does not appear to fit in with the Mitchell genealogy recorded by Burke (1886)].
- William McLoughlin held land in the parishes of Fuerty, barony of Athlone, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe and Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon in the 1850s. The latter bought from the sale of the Jephson estate in 1851. By 1883 the land in the parish of Kilbride was in the possession of Bedelia and Joseph Henry O'Malley. His land in the parish of Fuerty was offered for sale by the Mitchells of Castlestrange in March 1854. He was also the occupier of the house and had extensive mills and other buildings in the townland of Castlecoote.
- Charles G. Ashley held land in the parish of Lissonuffy, barony and county of Roscommon in the mid 19th century.
- At the beginning of the 20th century Thomas Mulry held an estate at Castlestrange, county Roscommon. 1,208 acres of his estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board in 1909.