Talbot (Mount Talbot)
- The Talbots were descended from a younger son of the Talbots of Malahide in the 16th century. They were transported to some of the O'Kelly lands in county Roscommon under the Cromwellian settlement. The Roscommon Talbots intermarried with the Berminghams, Lords Athenry, the Rose and Lloyd families of county Limerick and the Crosbies, Earl of Glandore. The Mount Talbot estate was in the parishes of Tisrara, Taghboy and Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In 1828 William Talbot of Mount Talbot was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. John Talbot married Marianne McCausland in 1845 and they were divorced by an Act of Parliament dated 29 July 1856. In the 1870s William John Talbot, a minor, of Mount Talbot, county Roscommon, owned over 3500 acres in county Roscommon. He was also the owner of over 450 acres in county Galway. More than 400 acres of the estate of William John Talbot were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 18 Nov 1912. W.J. Talbot and his wife died in the early 1920s having left Mount Talbot to live in London. The estate was divided by the Land Commission.
- The Rose family, originally from Devonshire, settled at Morgans and Mount Prospect, county Limerick in the late 17th century. Thomas Rose of Morgans, parish of Rathkeale, county Limerick and of Aghabeg and Ballyclough in the Limerick Liberties was Mayor of Limerick city in 1695. His eldest son, Henry Rose, was Member of Parliament for Ardfert and became a Lord Chief Justice. Lord Chief Justice Henry Rose of Mount Pleasant married Anne Crosbie and had a son and a daughter. The son left an only child, Elizabeth, who married William Talbot of Mount Talbot, county Roscommon while the daughter married John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick and had an only daughter, Agnes, who married John Wandesford, Earl Wandesford. The Roses of county Limerick are descended from George Rose, a younger brother of Chief Justice Henry Rose. This George Rose married twice. Alexander O’Grady Rose, who owned land in the parishes of Kilkeedy and Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, was descended from George Rose's first marriage to Jane Hickman of Barntick, county Clare. In June 1850 and at future dates the estate of Alexander O'Grady Rose in the baronies of Pubblebrien and Kenry, county Limerick and in the parish of Kinarath, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, were advertised for sale. W. A. Rose, Alexander O'Grady Rose and Simon Rose all held land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arra at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Richard Rose was the son of George Rose's second marriage to Susanna Stephens of Newcastle, county Limerick. Richard Rose married Mary, daughter of John Anderson of Foxhall, county Tipperary, and from them descend the Roses of Ahabeg and Foxhall. Their eldest grandson was Richard Anderson Rose. He had two sons, Richard Anderson Rose, who held an estate in the parish of Carrigparson, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, and Wellington Anderson Rose, who held land in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg. In 1826 their uncle, Simon Rose, had married Maria, daughter of Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrenan and Ballyculleen, county Limerick and their son, Henry Ormsby Rose, succeeded to the Ormsby estates of his uncle, Henry Ormsby. Another uncle, Henry Rose, lived at Ballyclogh, parish of Kilmurry and owned land in county Galway. In the 1870s Robert de Ros Rose of Ahabeg owned 2,747 acres in county Limerick. Thomas Rose of Court Cottage, parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry is recorded in Lewis and he still occupied the house valued at £7 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The estate of Francis Rose, 55 acres in the barony of Coshlea, was advertised for sale in January 1866. Francis Rose of America owned 57 acres in the 1870s.