Law Life Assurance Society
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation this company held two townlands in the parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, nine townlands in the parish of Kilmeena, barony of Burrishoole, four townlands in the parish of Aglish and one townland in the parish of Turlough, barony of Carra, previously the estate of Sir Samuel O'Malley of Kilboyne, county Mayo. In county Galway they had taken over the vast estate of the Martins of Ballinahinch which was heavily mortgaged to them. The estate included lands in the parishes of Ross, Ballindoon, Ballynakill, Omey, Moyrus, Kilcummin, Killannin, Moycullen and Rahoon, in the baronies of Ross, Ballynahinch, Moycullen and Galway. In 1853 the estate had been surveyed by Thomas Colville Scott for a prospective buyer but the sale never happened. Members of the Robinson family of Roundstone were agents to the Society and later to the Berridge family. The ''Return of Proprietors" in the 1870s records the Society as holding over 165,000 acres in county Galway. An undated sales rental in the National Archives records the sale of the Law Life Assurance Society's county Mayo estate by Frederick Flint and Sons, auctioneers, Dublin, including the purchases made by Mr McDonnell and J.William Kelly of St Helens, Westport. The Congested Districts' Board bought just over 4,000 acres of Clare Island on 15 Mar 1895.
- In the 1870s Philip Newton of the Newton family of Dunleckney Manor, Bagenalstown, county Carlow, owned 2483 acres in county Galway, 334 acres in county Roscommon and 635 acres in county Kildare. His addresses were recorded as Loughnavoy, Carna, county Galway and Ballinglen, Rathdrum, county Wicklow. His county Galway lands were in the parish of Moyrus, barony of Ballynahinch, and had previously belonged to the Lynch and Strutzer families. Strutzer had bought land from the sale of the St George of Tyrone estate in the barony of Ballynahinch. 333 acres in county Roscommon belonging to H.P. Newton were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Mar 1916.