- The Mahons bought the Belleville estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Clare, county Galway, from the Brownes of Coolarne in the early 1780s. They intermarried with the Lamberts, Blakes of Glenlo Abbey and the Seymours. According to the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books, Major Mahon owned townlands in the parish of Athenry in the 1830s. In the 1870s Henry Blake Mahon owned 1,786 acres in the county. His son General Sir Bryan Mahon had a distinguished military career in the late 19th century. In the early 20th century the General sold part of his estate to Colonel Dudley Thomas Persse and his wife Mary Creagh. It was later sold to the Daly family of Corofin. About 1,300 acres of Bryan T. Mahon's estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March 1912.
Browne (Coolaran, Kilskeagh & Mountkelly)
- The Browne's lands at Coolaran were confiscated by the Cromwelllian Commissioners but restored again by Charles II by patent dated 1677, when Oliver Browne was granted 2,481 acres in the baronies of Athenry and Dunmore, including "Cularan". They lost much of their estate in the 18th century through marriage and disputes between family members, resulting in sales to the Mahons of Belleville and the Lamberts, who established the Castle Ellen estate from former Browne property. In 1788 Dominick Browne of Kilskeagh and Ashford, parish of Cong, married Emily a granddaughter of John Browne of Westport, 1st Earl of Altamont. Their eldest son Robert Browne, Ranger of the Curragh, county Kildare, held lands in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh, barony of Clare, county Galway in the 1850s. Their second son, John William Browne, was a Dublin solicitor, who acted as agent for the Marquess of Sligo's county Galway estate. In 1846 J.W. Browne bought the lease of Mount Kelly estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, from Henry Lanauze. Mount Kelly was part of the Marquess of Sligo's estates leased to Christopher Kelly Bellew in the late 18th century and in 1800 to Lanauze. Hussey de Burgh records that Robert J. Browne owned over 2,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and James Browne of Mountkelly owned 1,905 acres. http://www.glenamaddy.net/files/history/browne.shtml