- John Leonard of the Waterford family of that name, was granted over 600 acres in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway by patent in 1678. He was succeeded by his brother Stephen. By the early 19th century Stephen Leonard's descendants were living at Queensfort and held an estate in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. The first Ordnance Survey map shows two substanial houses, Queensfort Lodge and Queensfort House, in the townland. By the time of Griffith's Valuation a house valued at £16 was occupied by Stephen Leonard and another valued at 10s by Thomas Joyce. In the 1870s Dominick Leonard of The Mall, Tuam, owned 1,496 acres in county Galway, Stephen J. Leonard of Tuam owned 382 acres in county Galway and 557 acres in county Roscommon and Patrick M. Leonard of London owned 898 acres in the parish of Kiltullagh, county Roscommon. Earlier, in 1869, property belonging to Patrick Leonard in County Roscommon were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. One lot was bought back by the owner, the sale of the other lots was adjourned. 1,171 acres belonging to P.M. Leonard in the counties Galway and Roscommon were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 6 June 1904.