St. George (Headford)
- The St Georges were a Cambridgeshire family who were granted lands in the Headford area by the Cromwellian Commissioners, much of it formerly held by the Skerrett family. Their ownership of lands in counties Galway, Roscommon, Limerick and Queen's county (county Laois) was confirmed by a patent dated 26 Oct 1666. A member of the Mansergh family from county Cork inherited the estate in the late 18th century and changed his name to St George. Richard Mansergh St George employed Charles Frizell to survey his estate in the 1770s and was murdered in county Cork in 1797. By the mid 19th century the St Georges had an extensive estate in the parishes of Kilkilvery, Killursa, Cargin, Killeany and Donaghpatrick in the barony of Clare, county Galway, including the town of Headford. John O'Hara of Galway was their agent. Charles Mansergh St George also held land in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. In the early 1870s Richard St. George's estate in county Galway amounted to over 7000 acres. It was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1876, some of it was sold but it was not until the 1890s that the final parts of the estate were sold to the Land Commission. Thomas McDonagh bought Headford Castle, the demesne and most of the town. After the Castle was burnt down in 1906 the McDonaghs went to live at Moyne Hill. The rent roll of Sir Richard St George Mansergh St George's estates in counties Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny show him holding the townlands of Curraghpoor, parish of Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballyhasty, parish of Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond, Co. Tipperary; Ballybur, Co. Kilkenny; Gortnaskehy East and West, Macroney, Curragh More East and West, 'Curraghnafeddy East and West,' Clashganniv, Kilbeg, Shanacloon, 'Belerogh' alias Lisseenkirkey', 'Lyregilikeen', 'Lyrebarry', 'Luresolevan', Co. Cork. In 1851 he was also among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, county Waterford.
- According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) the McDonoghs held land in the Gort area in the late 18th century and were resident at Wilmount, near Portumna, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Matthew McDonagh held land from the Shees in the town of Tuam. In 1865 Francis Joseph McDonagh, son of Matthew, married Mary Bodkin of Tuam. One of their daughters married Farrell McDonnell, son of Martin McDonnell of Dunmore and Headford Castle. One of their sons Thomas McDonagh resided at Headford Castle before moving to Moyne Hill. Matthew McDonagh with an address at Wilmount, Portumna, owned 174 acres in county Galway in 1876. Slater refers to a Mrs. Mary McDonagh, resident at a property called Glenallen, Portumna in 1846. The McDonaghs were very involved in the racing world in the latter half of the 19th century.
- Griffith's Valuation shows that Farrell McDonnell was in possession of a townland in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Farrell McDonnell owned 149 acres in county Galway and 1,034 acres in county Roscommon. 578 acres belonging to him was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Feb 1911. By March 1916 he had received a final offer of over £18,000 from the Congested Districts' Board for his 4,500+ acres in county Galway. In March 1912 over 2,000 acres in county Roscommon belonging to him were vested in the Congested Districts' Board. He was related to Martin McDonnell as there is reference to his estate at Meelick, just south of Williamstown, [parish of Boyounagh, barony of Tiaquin] in a Dail debate. This townland belonged to Martin McDonnell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. see http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0347/D.0347.198402150037.html Farrell McDonnell, Sweeney and Company are a firm of solicitors in Abbey Street, Roscommon. Information in the Farrell McDonnell file in Roscommon County Library records Farrell McDonnell (1845-1904) as a solicitor and the first Chairman of Roscommon County Council. He was a son of Mark McDonnell of Roscommon and Ballaghderreen and a nephew of Martin McDonnell of Roscommon and of Farrell McDonnell Senior, who had extensive business interests in Roscommon town. Possibly there were 2 Farrell McDonnells as Sister Delaney writes that Martin McDonnell of Dunmore had 2 sons James who lived at Waterslade, Tuam and Farrell, who married a daughter of Frank McDonagh of Wilmount, Portumna.