- The Brownes of Moyne were descended from the Brownes of Cloonkeely, near Tuam and of Newtown in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Nicholas Browne was granted over 3,000 acres in 1677 under the Acts of Settlement in counties Galway, Roscommon and Sligo. Most of the land was in county Galway and included Moyne, Newtown and Crumlin, all in the barony of Tiaquin. In the early 19th century Cloonkeely or Cloonkeelwy in the townland of Ballyboy, parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, belonged to John Browne Lynch, a member of the Lynch of Lowberry family, who had married a Browne of Cloonkeely. In 1802 Mark Browne of the Newtown branch of the family sold his property to John Kelly of Green Castle, Jamaica, as he had no heir. Previously he had acquired the Rockfield or Rockville estate from the Burkes but it was soon taken over by the Court of Chancery. Michael Joseph Browne, owner of Moyne in the early 19th century held a large estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation centred on the parish of Killererin in the barony of Tiaquin. His estate also included land in the parishes of Annaghdown and Killower, barony of Clare; Abbeyknockmoy and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin; Killeeneen in the barony of Dunkellin, Addergoole and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore and Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe. When his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855 it amounted to 9,167 acres. It included 538 acres in the parish of Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon, leased to Margaret Fitzgibbon. In 1857 John Stratford Kirwan bought Moyne House and over a thousand acres of the Browne estate in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy.
- A family with county Roscommon origins, members of 18th century generations of the Kellys served in the Austrian Army and were prominent landowners in Jamaica. In 1802 John Kelly bought the Newtown estate from the Brownes of Moyne and three generations of the family resided there in the 19th century. In the mid 19th century the estate amounted to nine townlands in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Charles Kelly is recorded as the owner of over 2,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Matilda, Countess de la Boisserie, wrote memoirs of her childhood at Newtown. In June 1885 Charles Kelly was advertising the sale of over 1,000 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and lands in the barony and county of Leitrim and in the baronies of Ballintober North and Athlone, county Roscommon. It is not clear if this is Charles Kelly of Newtown. The lands in the parish of Kilkerrin were leased to William Parke Cullen. The purchasers included John Marsham, Joseph Vaughan and the tenant of one of the properties, Michael Harrington.