- Joseph H. Cowan was in possession of an estate in the baronies of Leitrim and Longford, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Derrywillan House, on the Leitrim part of the estate, was recorded as vacant at the time. This source also records Joseph Cowan as the immediate lessor of many properties in the town of Eyrecourt and the holder of several townlands in the parishes of Fahy and Meelick, both in the barony of Longford. The demesne and house at Prospect were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in November 1863. The schedule indicates that Rev. John Usher had leased Prospect to Joseph Henry Cowan for three lives from February 1853. By the 1870s Captain Patrick Cowan, of Prospect, Eyrecourt, held over 2000 acres in county Galway. At the same time Stephen Cowan of Gortnamona, was the owner of over 1200 acres. On 30 July 1864 Stephen Cowan married Helena Skerrett of Finavarra, Ballyvaghan, county Clare. Capt. Stephen Cowan held about 200 acres of untenanted land in the area in 1906.