- The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later acquired properties in neighbouring counties including Roscommon and Galway. Lord Clonbrock was listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lord Clonbrock was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ahascragh, Fohanagh, Killalaghtan and Killosolan in the barony of Kilconnell and Killoran in the barony of Longford. In the 1870s the Clonbrock estate in county Galway amounted to over 28,000 acres.
Lands, house and demesne at Cahir, barony of Clonmacnowen, owned by James Dillon, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in July 1854. In 1906 Lord Clonbrock held over 2000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Clonbrock. The Dillon's county Limerick estate appears to have come into their possession through the marriage in 1776 of the first Baron with Letitia Greene of Old Abbey, county Limerick, the only child of John Greene. James Kelly was the agent for the county Limerick estate in the early 19th century. The county Limerick estate was situated in the baronies of Connello Lower and Shanid. The Clonbrock Papers contain a printed notice of the sale of lands held in fee by Lord Clonbrock amounting to about 2395 acres and the lands of Loughill and Coonagh held under the See of Limerick circa 600 acres, dated 19 Dec 1829 MS 35705 (5). Correspondence expressing interest in the purchase of the Dillon's county Limerick estate was received from David Roche of Carass, Robert Maunsell and Stephen Dickson who bought the property in 1831, see MS 35,727 (10).
O'Kelly (Gallagh & Ticooly)
- The O'Kellys of Ticooly in the parish of Killosolan, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, and later of Gallagh, parish and barony of Dunmore, Counts of the Holy Roman Empire, formerly Chiefs of Hy-Many, settled at Ticooly following the Jacobite War in the late 1680s when they lost Gallagh Castle. They leased the Ticooly estate from the Dillons of Clonbrock to whom they were related. Following the marriage of Cornelius O'Kelly to Elizabeth Joyce of Mervue in 1831 an estate of about 1,500 acres was settled on the couple and they built a new house called Gallagh, near Tuam in the townland of Newtown (Darcy). Cornelius O'Kelly held 2 townlands in the parish of Dunmore and 6 townlands in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Cornelius O'Kelly owned over 1,900 acres in county Galway and 1,400 acres in county Mayo. The O'Kelly's of Gurtray, near Portumna, were a branch of this family.
Greene (Old Abbey)
- The Greenes were settled at Old Abbey, county Limerick, from the early 17th century when they obtained a lease of the property from Sir Charles Coote. 'Burke's Irish Family Records' traces their descent from Captain Godfrey Greene, a '49 officer', who had 2 sons John of Old Abbey and Godfrey of Moorestown, county Tipperary. John Greene, grandson of John of Old Abbey, married Catherine Toler, sister of the 1st Earl of Norbury and they had an only daughter Letitia who in 1776 married Robert Dillon 1st Baron Clonbrock. The Clonbrock Papers show that John Greene also lived at Lettyville, county Tipperary. The Taylor and Skinner map indicates that Ballyrickard House may be the house known as Lettyville in the 18th century. The county Limerick estate of the Greenes was mainly located in the barony of Shanid. M. J. Dore writes that John Greene was succeeded at Old Abbey by his first cousin George Hodges of Shanagolden, county Limerick. The Clonbrock Papers in the National Library of Ireland contain 18th century records relating to the Old Abbey estate of the Greenes, including the will of John Greene of Old Abbey 1741.
- Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) records members of the Dickson family living at Ballyhonogue, Clonshire and Ballynaguile, county Limerick in the 18th century. Stephen Dickson and his wife Mary Lane had six sons. The youngest son, Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, married twice. The only child of his first marriage was a daughter who married Richard Power of Munroe, county Tipperary. The Power family succeeded the Dicksons at Clonshire. In 1775 Samuel married secondly Mary Norris of Limerick city and they had at least ninne children. Their eldest son Stephen was a barrister and Commissioner of Bankrupts and he bought the county Limerick estate of the Dillons of Clonbrock in 1831 amounting to about 3,000 acres. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill, Kilmoylan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Stephen Dickson died unmarried in 1839 and his estate appears to have been dispersed among a number of his brothers and nephews. Stephen Dickson's brothers, Reverend Richard Dickson and Major General William Dickson, were his only male siblings who married and had children. In the early 1850s Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermount, Clarina, county Limerick, held townlands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid, Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty, Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien and Doon, barony of Coonagh. He was agent to the Barker estate in county Limerick in the early 19th century. He married Anne, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, 1st Baronet, and had a son, Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair and Creaves, who owned a county Limerick estate of 2,540 acres in the 1870s. Samuel F. Dickson's brother, Reverend William Richard Dickson of Berkshire, owned a further 1,150 acres in county Limerick. Their sister, Rebecca Caroline, married Reverend William Francis Maunsell of the Spa Hill family and rector of Kildimo. Reverend Maunsell's only son, Colonel William Maunsell, assumed the surname Dickson in 1900 and succeeded to the estates of his uncle S.F. Dickson. He married his first cousin, Frances Maunsell and they had four daughters. Colonel Dickson had addresses at Kildimo House, county Limerick and Bournemouth, England in 1910. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.
- The Dillon family held a large estate on the border of counties Mayo and Roscommon. They were descended from the Norman family who had first become established in county Westmeath. Theobald Dillon of Loughglynn was granted over 4,700 acres by patent in December 1680. The main part of their estate was in county Mayo where they owned extensive lands in the parishes of Aghamore, Annagh, Bekan, Castlemore, Knock, Kilbeagh, Kilcolman and Kilmovee in the barony of Costello. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Anne McDonnell was leasing over 130 acres from the Dillon estate at Calveagh, barony of Costello. In 1876 Viscount Dillon owned 83,749 acres in county Mayo, 5435 in county Roscommon and 136 in county Westmeath. He sold his estate in counties Mayo and Roscommon, amounting to 93,652 acres, to the Congested Districts' Board on 11 May 1899.
The Stricklands were agents for the Dillon estate. In 1828 Jerrard Strickland of Loughglynn was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon.