Lynch (Lynch's Castle)
- In the 19th century Andrew Henry Lynch, son of Patrick Lynch, owned an estate of approximately 4,300 acres in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway and another estate in the parish of Rahoon in the county of the town of Galway containing almost 4,000 acres, which he purchased from the Lynches of Barna in 1834. Andrew Henry Lynch was a Member of Parliament for the city of Galway between 1832 and 1841. Sale particulars for the West Barna estate of 3,130 acres, mainly in the parish of Rahoon, were compiled in 1846/7 by direction of the trustees and mortagees. In 1851 Andrew H. Lynch's estates were put up for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court by his sisters and co-heiresses and were taken over by John Campbell, 1st Baron Campbell and previously Lord High Chancellor of Ireland, to whom they were heavily mortgaged. In May 1856 another estate at Lydacan in the barony of Dunmore, was advertised for sale by the co-heiresses of Andrew H. Lynch.
- Patrick Melvin writes of a grant in 1720 of the castle and lands of Lydacan by Protestant trustees to Patrick Lynch. Soon afterwards the estate of approximately 1,000 acres was mortgaged to Edward Eyre of Galway. By the early 19th century the estate was in the hands of the Court of Chancery and some members of the family had emigrated to Argentina. Patrick and James Lynch, merchants of Lynch's Castle, Galway, bought the estate from the Court. The Lynch brothers had also bought the estate of the Frenches at Moycullen. Both properties passed to Andrew Henry Lynch, the son of Patrick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Andrew H. Lynch were leasing the property at Lydacan, in the parish of Claregalway, to Peter McDonald.
Ireland (Galway & Kiltartan)
- The Ireland family settled in the midlands in the 17th century. Through marriage with the Lynch family of Lydican, county Galway and the Stanley family of county Westmeath they came to acquire land in counties Galway, Roscommon and Westmeath in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Irelands were an influential family involved in the administrative and business life of Galway city in the mid-19th century. John Ireland of Eyre Square, Galway, married Eliza Josephina McDonnell in July 1836 and he is buried in the grounds of St. James' Church, Bushy Park. John Ireland's brother Arthur was the first Bursar of Queen's College, Galway. Property at Eyre Square, Galway, owned by Edward Ireland, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in November 1866. The purchaser was Captain Forster. The estate at Roo, in the barony of Kiltartan, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in April 1873. At that time it was the property of Isaac Daly and his wife Henrietta and John Ireland and his wife Henrietta.
The estate, amounting to over 600 acres, of Sophia Mary Ireland in the barony of Kilconnell were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1851 and 1852. The sale also included lands in the barony of Kilkenny West, county Westmeath. In March 1851, he Freeman's Journal reported that the Galway lands were purchased by William Fry but the sale of the some of the Westmeath lands were adjourned due to insufficient bidding. A Mrs. Ireland, address at Woodlawn, is recorded as the owner of over 1200 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. At the same time Samuel Gardiner Ireland of Roberstown, Naas, county Kildare, a nephew of John and Arthur Ireland of Galway, owned 121 acres in county Roscommon, 314 acres in county Westmeath and 242 acres in county Kildare.