- The Kilcloony estate, parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, was granted to Edward Bodkin by Francis Bermingham, 21st Baron Athenry and James Daly in 1759. The Bodkin estate included lands in the parishes of Dunmore, Tuam and Liskeevy. The family had close links with Galway city, where they owned Rahoon House. The Bodkin's property in the town of Galway was advertised for sale in 1850. An 18th century member of the family was Valentine Bodkin, Warden of Galway. John J. Bodkin was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Fohanagh, barony of Kilconnell, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His property in that area included a steward's house valued at £3 and 600 acres which were leased to Thomas O'Connor. John J. Bodkin was a Member of Parliament for county Galway from 1835 to 1847. In the 1870s his son, John Bodkin, owned 2,312 acres in county Galway. The Kilcloony estate was bought by the Irish Land Purchase and Settlement Company in 1884 for £43,000. Mohr writes that this was the only purchase of the company. Charles Stewart Parnell was its Chairman. Thomas Bodkin became Director of the National Gallery in the mid 20th century.
Clarke (Graig Abbey)
- The Clarke family were leasing the Graig Abbey property from the Warburton estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Graig estate and lands in the barony of Kilconnell had been granted to Arthur Annesley, 1st Earl of Anglesey under the Acts of Settlement. Anthony Clarke, a Dublin attorney, was a brother in law of Dominick and John Bodkin of Kilcloony. Dominick Bodkin sold the Graig estate to Clarke for £5,000 in 1820 to settle a debt. The Clarkes of Graig Abbey, Athenry, held the former Bodkin lands in the parishes of Belclare and Killower, barony of Clare, county Galway and Charles Cromie of Annefield, parish of Kilcommen, county Mayo was their agent. Their estate in county Galway amounted to 1,870 acres in the 1870s.
- Teige Kelly was granted 191 acres in Creeraun, parish of Ballymacward, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, by patent under the Acts of Settlement dated 1 July 1678. The sale rental of 1857 states that a portion of the lands of Creeran known as 'Burke's Seventeen Acres' was held on a lease in perpetuity from Thomas Burke to Michael Kelly of Creeran, dated 17 Aug 1734. Michael O'Kelly is recorded as the resident landowner of Creeraun in 1814 and 1824. In 1805 he married Margaret Bellew and 206 acres of Derrynasee, parish of Kiltoom, county Roscommon, part of her dowry, subsequently became O'Kelly property. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael O'Kelly held in fee the Mountsilk estate in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. In 1838 Michael's son Anthony married Catherine Browne of Ardskea and their son Michael married a Browne cousin of Cooloo. In 1857, 449 acres belonging to Anthony O'Kelly at Creeraun, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and at Derrynasee, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Anthony's mother Margaret O'Kelly was the petitioner. Edward Browne of Cooloo purchased the Creeraun acreage. Anthony O'Kelly is recorded as one of the owners of part of the Kilkelly's Summerville estate offered for sale in June 1864. He had bought Moyloughbeg in 1856 from Daniel M. Kilkelly. In December 1865 the sale of Derrynasee was readvertised and appears to have been bought by Raymond P. Worthington. In the 1870s Anthony's son Michael O'Kelly of Cooloo, Barnaderg, owned 3,152 acres in county Galway, most of it in the barony of Ross and previously owned by his uncle Edward Browne. In 1882 Michael O'Kelly's estate of 3,393 acres in counties Galway, Mayo and Clare was advertised for sale. Members of the Kirwan family of Moyne were also parties to this sale. In June 1886 O'Kelly lands at Mountsilk were sold to Michael Charles Burke in the Land Judges' Court. In 1889 Cooloo, part of Creeraun and other lands in the barony of Tiaquin were offered for sale. The Bodkins of Kilclooney bought Creeraun. Many of the O'Kellys settled in Canada at the end of the 19th century and some became distinguished members of the British Army during World War I. On 16 March 1904 1,466 acres in county Galway belonging to the O'Kellys of Cooloo were vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
- Edward Bermingham, Lord Athenry, was granted over 5,000 acres, mainly in the barony of Dunmore, county Galway, by patent dated 16 Sept 1680 while Remigius Bermingham was granted overe 5,200 acres in county Mayo in 1681. There are records relating to the Bermingham family in the late 17th and early 18th century in the Westport Estate Papers. The descendants of Lord Athenry sold the Kilcloony estate to the Bodkins in 1759 and the Barbersfort estate to the Ruttledges in 1816. Thomas Bermingham, 22nd Lord Athenry and a Member of Parliament for county Galway, was created earl of Louth in April 1759. By his second marriage to Margaret Daly of Quansbury he left as his co heiresses three daughters, who married Thomas B.H. Sewell, William St Lawrence, 2nd Earl of Howth and Joseph Henry Blake of Ardfry. By the 1880s the family's main estates were in county Louth where they owned over 3,500 acres.
Irish Land Purchase and Settlement Company
- The Bodkin estate of Kilcloony was bought by the Irish Land Purchase and Settlement Company in 1884 for £43,000. Mohr writes that this was the only purchase of the company. Charles Stewart Parnell was the Company's Chairman. In January 1902 529 acres of the Kilcloony estate were vested in the Congested Districts' Board.