At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of John W. Murphy owned seven townlands in the parish of Donaghpatrick, barony of Clare, county Galway. In the 1870s William Murphy owned 1,236 acres in county Galway. By March 1916 a final offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the sale of this estate had been accepted by Mrs M.B. Murphy. This family may be the same as the Murphys of county Roscommon.