By 1876 Emanuel Churcher of Gosport, Hampshire, England, had bought some of the estate of James Thorngate in county Galway, including Castle Ffrench as well as Thorngate's estate in the parishes of Crossboyne and Kilvine, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo. He still held untenanted land in the Crossboyne locality in 1906. Thorngate and Churcher were both natives of Gosport. In the 1870s Churcher owned almost 8,000 acres in county Galway, 1,400 in county Roscommon and 1,633 acres in county Mayo. Part of the Churcher estate in county Galway, amounting to 1,633 acres, was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in March 1912, with a further 978 acres in that county going to the Board in February 1915. 1,546 acres belonging to William E. Churcher in county Mayo were sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 23 Oct 1913.
Cumbria Record Office:
Papers of Arnold, Greenwood and Sons, Kendal, solicitors, include agreement re will of Emmanuel Churcher, 1888. WD AG/Box 65/14