Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lane esq was residing at Cloghan Castle in the 1770s. In 1786, however, Wilson refers to Cloghan Castle as the residence of Mr. Lewin. Ruane describes the house as early 18th century with 19th century alterations. It was held in fee by Henry H. Lewin at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £10. it was occupied by General Arthur Lewin in the early 20th century. He was an aviation enthuaist and went to live in Nairobi, Kenya, in the 1930s. Cloghans was sold to the McCartans in the 1940s and is now the home of the Kelly family.
|Cloghans Beg||Kilmainemore||Ballinrobe||Kilcommon 38||Kilmaine||Mayo||
M306 601 Discovery map #38. OS Sheet #119.
Originally a Blake house, it was occupied by the Lewins from 1888. Wilson refers to Castle-Grove as the seat of Mr. Blake in 1786. It would seem that this house was replaced in the nineteenth century as, although listed in Leets directory of 1814, the sale rental of 1852 records Castlegrove as a mansion house erected 'within the last twelve years'. It included a ballroom, oak staircase and numerous bedrooms. It was bought by John William Cannon. The sale rental includes a lithograph of the house. Castlegrove was burnt in 1922 and is now a ruin.
|Castlegrove East||Kilbennan||Tuam||Foxhall 218||Dunmore||Galway||
M377 583 Discovery map #39. OS Sheet #16.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links