Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Built in the 18th century, this house was the home of George Browne, third son of the 1st Earl of Altamont, in the 1760s. His daughter and heiress married Dominick Browne of Castlemagarret and ownership of Claremount appears to have passed to the Castlemagarret Brownes. The Kirwans and Denis Browne of Westport lived in the house in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It was bought by Murray McGregor Blacker from Lord Oranmore and Browne in 1858 for £4,250. Blacker owned the house until 1874. In 1877 the house and about 313 acres were sold to the local parish priest by Thomas D. Maguire for the purpose of establishing a Convent of Mercy. The nuns ran a girls' secondary school in the house. In October 1906 just over 300 acres of Claremount was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
M339 783 Discovery map #39. OS Sheet #101.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links