In the mid 19th century the Reverend Henry Cotton held four townlands in the parish of Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. The Reverend Henry Cotton (1789-1879) was a theologian and bibliographer, born in Buckinghamshire, he became sub librarian at the Bodleian Library, Oxford. He married Mary Vaughan daughter of Richard Laurence who became Archbishop of Cashel in 1822. He accompanied his father in law to Ireland as domestic chaplain and was Archdeacon of Cashel from 1824-1872. One of his sons Charles Philip Cotton became a prominent engineer in Ireland.