Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Leet records the Reverend Edward Carleton as resident at Bride-town, Rathcormack. E. Morgan was the proprietor in 1837 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation, holding the property in fee. The buildings were valued at £42. Bence Jones writes that the Morgans sold the property in the second half of the 19th century having been ruined by the gambling of Lady Louisa Morgan, known as "Unlimited Loo". Later the home of the Lindsay and Horgan families and still occupied.
W737 892 Discovery map #80. OS Sheet #44.
In 1894 Slater refers to Ballinard Castle as the residence of William Tennant. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Lindsay owned land in the townland of Friarsgrange, parish of Coolmundry, in which Ballinard Castle is situated. It appears that, in the nineteenth century, a house was built adjoining the original tower house as, in 1840, the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Ballinard Castle, a gentleman's seat in the townland of Friarsgrange. Information in the Woodstock Museum, Ontario, Canada, indicates that the building was owned by the Lindsay family until 1926. The building is still extant.
S254363 Discovery map #. OS Sheet #70.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links