Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Castletown was purchased by Thomas Sadleir of Sopwell Hall from the family of his brother-in-law, John Briggs of Castletown, in 1706. It passed to Charles, the second son of Thomas Sadleir and was in the possession of his descendants for four generations. In 1747 it was leased to the Cambies by Charles Sadlier. Wilson mentions it as a Parker seat in 1786. In 1814 Leet records the house as unoccupied. C. Cambie was the occupier when Castletown was described by Lewis as a “a handsome castellated building”. Charles Cambie held Castletown from Thomas Sadlier at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the house was valued at £23. Castletown was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1856, Miss Sarah Cambie was the tenant. Thomas Towers of Bushy Park, Borrisokane was the petitioner. He was married to Elizabeth Cambie and Castletown became their home. In 1906 the occupant was Thomas Towers and the house was valued at £24+. In the 1940s Miss Towers and her nephew Mr. Sterling were the occupiers. This 17th century fortified house with early 19th century additions is still in use as a family residence. It was also known as Castle Cambie.
|Castletown||Kilbarron||Borrisokane||Kilbarron 10||Lower Ormond||Tipperary||
R822 925 Discovery map #53. OS Sheet #9.
Bushy Park was the home of Thomas Towers in 1814 and in 1837. In 1840, the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as " a comfortable house, the residence of Thomas Towers" and also include reference to a letter written by Mr. Towers in which he expressed the wish that the house would revert to the name Shesharaghmore house though this does not seem to have happened. Sarah Cambie was occupying the house valued at £15 and held from Thomas Towers in the mid 19th century. David Clarke is described as "of Bushy Park, Borrisokane and Macclesfield" in the 1870s. Still valued at £15 this house was held by the representatives of David Clarke in 1906. A building is still extant at the site.
|Shesheraghmore||Borrisokane||Borrisokane||Borrisokane 7||Lower Ormond||Tipperary||
R913 932 Discovery map #53. OS Sheet #10.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links