Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Originally a Hutchinson property, incorporating the old castle of Knockballymaher, which passed to Edward Corker Minchin following his marriage in 1848 to Sarah Anne, only child by his first marriage of William Henry Hutchinson. Stephen Minchin was the occupier at the time of Griffitih's Valuation holding the property from Edward Minchin. The buildings were valued at £16. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Rockforest was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852 and the Minchins emigrated to New Zealand. It appears to have been bought by William Gibson, father of Captain William Gibson who was residing at Rockforest, Roscrea in the 1870s. This house is now demolished but the outbuildings and stables still remain intact.
S205 864 Discovery map #60. OS Sheet #18.
This house was the seat of the Hutchinson family in the 19th century. Lewis refers to the great improvements made by J.D. Hutchinson at Timoney. By the mid 19th century the house was valued at £51 and was held in fee. It was occupied by Standish Grady J. Hutchinson in 1906. It is now a roofless ruin.
S189 847 Discovery map #60. OS Sheet #18.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links