Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
William Pennefather (died 1819) of Knockeevan was the second son of Richard Pennefather of New Park. Knockeevan became the home of his eldest son, Richard, Baron of the Exchequer, Ireland, who employed William Tinsley as architect in the mid 1820s. The house was originally known as Darling Hill and it belonged to the Carleton family in the 18th century. Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Carleton in 1786. Oliver Carleton sold it to the Pennefathers in 1782. The house was held by the Honourable Baron Pennefather in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation when it was valued at £54+. It later passed into the possession of Lady Emily Hankey, daughter-in-law of Baron Pennefather and then to the Stanhope family. Sold by the Stanhopes in the late 19th century or early 20th century. This house no longer exists. see http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/5338#tab_works concerning the architect.
|Knockeevan||Newchapel||Clonmel||Lisronagh 80||Iffa and Offa East||Tipperary||
S171 286 Discovery map #74. OS Sheet #77.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links