Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lewis writes that Castle Fogarty was "the ancient seat of the O'Fogarty family from whom it descended to the present proprietor J. Lanigan". He describes it as a "square castellated mansion, with embattled towers at the angles". The seat of the Lenigan family in the 18th and 19th centuries [held from the Earls of Portarlington until the fee was purchased in the mid 19th century]. Noted by Slater as the seat of Captain Vivian Ryan-Lanigan in 1894. Though the castle is a ruin since it was burnt in 1922 there is a residential wing on the site. in 2018 it was offered for sale.
|Castlefogarty||Ballycahill||Thurles||Ballycahill 127||Kilnamanagh Upper||Tipperary||
S055 594 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #40.
Occupied by Martin Ryan in 1814 and in 1837 and held from J. Lenigan. James Lenigan is recorded as the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation, holding the property in fee, when the farm house and offices were valued at £7.
|Mountalt||Ballycahill||Thurles||Ballycahill 127||Kilnamanagh Upper||Tipperary||
S058 585 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #40.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links