Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
A member of the Blunden family was living at "Turkla" close to Thurles in the 1770s. William Nicholson was living at Turtola in 1814. Lewis writes in 1837 that it was the property of Valentine Maher but that John B. O'Brien was resident. A flour mill was located on the property. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books record a Mr. Lister in charge of the mill. They refer to Valentine Maher as the proprietor. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas Maher was the occupier. He held the property from the Court of Chancery and the buildings were valued at £50+. Nicholas had succeeded his cousin Valentine in 1844 and died without heirs in 1871. Turtulla then became the home of the Barry family from county Limerick. It was unoccupied from 1927 to 1944 when it was purchased by the Thurles golf club and has been their club house since then. see http://www.thurlesgolfclub.com/cluboverview.html
S135 568 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #41.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links