Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
In 1786 Wilson refers to Ashgrove as the seat of Mr. Ash. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Ashgrove House was valued at £14.10 shillings and occupied by John Henry Ashe who held it from his brother Trevor Lloyd Ashe. A lithograph of Ashgrove is included in the Ashe sale rental of 1854. It was bought by Charles Moore of Mooresfort. Ashgrove was offered for sale again in 1864. It was held on a lease dated 1815 from Trevor Lloyd Ashe to Southwell Moore for 3 lives renewable for ever. Lyons writes that Southwell Mulcahy was resident from 1858. This house is still in use as a residence.
R953 297 Discovery map #74. OS Sheet #74.
Lewis describes Ashgrove Castle or Castle Mary, the residence of the Reverend Trevor Lloyd Ashe, Lord of the Manor of Bansha, as a "castellated mansion in the Italian style of architecture, situated at the base of the Galtee mountains, 4,000 acres of which are attached to the estate". This house is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as the property of T.L. Ashe "of modern construction but in very bad repair". It is recorded as "in ruins" in the later 25 inch map of the 1890s. Land clearance has taken place in the area and nothing remains of Castle Mary.
R942 295 Discovery map #74. OS Sheet #74.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links